State Commanders Membership Program
JOIN THE DEPT OF NEW YORK VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS!
To join the VFW in New York, please fill out the Application Form and email it to the MEMBERSHIP CHAIRMAN at MEMBERSHIP@VFWNY.COM or send a message via our Facebook page. ALL COMBAT U.S. VETERANS ARE WELCOME!
As yesterday's defenders of freedom, we want to welcome today's military service members into our ranks to become part of our elite group. Our common bond is the battlefield, whether it is service in the Persian Gulf, Korea, Kosovo, the Global War on Terrorism, or peace-keeping expeditionary campaigns. Your courage and sacrifice have made a difference in preserving and defending world peace. If you have received a campaign medal for overseas service; have served 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days in Korea; or have ever received hostile fire or imminent danger pay, then you're eligible to join our ranks with full membership.
To become one of the 'elite' with full membership, prospective members must meet the following eligibility requirements:
Full Membership Eligibility for the VFW
By becoming a VFW Life member, you make a lifetime commitment to serving your fellow service
members and veterans. You'll also enjoy many great benefits of being a Life member! You will:
• Avoid annual dues, renewals and monthly installments.
• Maintain your membership in any Post you choose, worldwide!
• Never pay an increase in dues—guaranteed!
• Receive a 10% discount on exclusive VFW Store merchandise for the first year.
You can become a VFW Life member by making a one-time payment directly to the Post via Credit Card or Bank Transfer payment. A Life membership installment plan is available through the VFW website (vfw.org/join) with an initial $45 USD payment and the Life membership amount billed over an 11-month period. Installment Plan
Legacy Life Membership
Legacy Life membership enables VFW Life members to leave a lasting impression on our great organization.
Three prestigious levels of Legacy Life membership are available: Gold, Silver and Bronze.
Each level offers generous benefits reserved exclusively for Legacy Life members. Once your Legacy Life membership begins, an annual endowment in your name will be made to your Post, Department and the national organization. You will feel confident knowing your contributions to our organization are not only helping today’s veterans but the veterans of tomorrow.
You may also purchase a Memorial Legacy in the name of a deceased VFW Annual or Life member to help future generations know and remember their sacrifice and contributions.
View our list of current Legacy Life members by state.
For more information on Membership Contact the State Membership Chair
Download the Dept of NY 21-22
All-State Post Minimum Requirements
Post Minimum Requirements:
1. Must report 100% Membership over the *September 2018 National Membership Report, two (2) New or Reinstated Members as of May 1, 2018 (As recorded at Department
Headquarters and compared to the September 2018 National Membership Report).
Example of Membership Total: If a post were 100 members on June 30, 2018, to receive the All-State Award in 2019 they must have a membership of 102 members.
2. Community Activity Reports for May 1, 2018 to October 31, 2018 and November 1, 2018 to
April 30, 2019 must be received at Department Headquarters prior to May 1, 2019.
3. Inspected prior to April 30, 2019 and the 2018-19 Inspection Report received, approved by the Department prior to May 1, 2019
4. Post Quartermaster must be trained at a District or Department OTI prior to May 1, 2019.
5. The first 3 quarters Trustees Reports in Department prior to May 1, 2019.
6. Each Post must meet the minimum points required for All-State Awards (see below).
1. 750 Points for attaining 100% membership
2. 1000 Points for each New Annual Member over 100% in membership
3. 800 Points for each New Life Member
4. 900 Points for each New or Increase Legacy Life Member.
5. 500 Points for 3 Poppies ordered for each member of the Post from Department of NY.
6. 1000 Points for 5 Poppies ordered for each member of the Post from the Department of NY.
7. 2000 Points for 1 O Poppies ordered for each member of the Post from the Department of NY.
8. 1500 Points for contributing a minimum of $100 to the State Commander Special Project.*
9. 500 Points for each Trustee Reports submitted to Department HQ prior to May 1, 2019
10. 500 Bonus Points for each Trustee Report submitted to Department HQ, within 45 days of
report due date.
11. 500 Points for first Community Service Report submitted to Department HQ or Postmarked by November 15, 2018.
12. 500 Bonus Points for second Community Service Report submitted Department HQ or
Postmarked by May 1, 2019.
13. 500 Points for a Post Inspection Accepted prior to May 1, 2019
14. 1500 Points for Post Quartermaster attending Department or District OTI.
15. 1000 Points for Post Service Officer attending Department or District OTI by a VFW Accredited Department Service Officer by May 1, 2019
16. 500 Points for Post Trustee Trained at a District or Dept OTI By May 1, 2019
17. 500 Points for submitting a Voice of Democracy nominee to your District
18. 500 Points for submitting a Patriot's Pen nominee to your District
19. 500 Points for submitting an EMT, Fireman, Policeman nominee to Dept Chairman
20. 200 Points for contributing to the National Home thru the Department
21. 200 Points for contributing to the UNMET Needs Program
22. 200 Points for contributing to the National Military Services (NMS) Program
8,000 Total Points minimum required for All-State Award (Awards limited as noted below)
NOTE: A Post which has met the reporting requirements for the All-State Award if Received in HQ or Postmarked by May 1, 2019 will receive the All-State Award at the State Convention;
however, a Post that has all of their reports completed and turned in by May 1, 2019 still has until
June 30, 2019 to meet the 100% Plus Two All-State Award membership requirement. The Post Al/State Awards earned by the June 30, 2019 date will be presented at a District Meeting if requested or at the 2019 Fall State Conference.
Total point accumulations will be used to determine which Post Commanders will receive the All-State Award once the minimum requirements have been met. The total number of All-State Awards shall be limited to THE FIRST 65 and will be allocated to each Membership Division. If not enough posts qualify in a Division, the State Commander may reallocate the unused awards to other Divisions. If many more posts qualify, additional Cap Awards will be considered.
Post Membership Divisions
DivisionPost All-State AwardsPost Membership
1. 10. 25 to 75
2. 15. 76 to 175
3. 25. 176 to 300
4. 10. 301 to 450
5. 5. 451 and Over